Before I delve too far into today's topic...
Some of you may have noticed I'm beginning to get the hang of this thing. Beneath all of my links, you will find a box where to sign up to receive any new posts from me daily. I went through great lengths to set that up, so please, use it. Or, you can just email me, and I can put you on the subscriber list. Whichever best suits your level of competency. On to today's discussion...
Television is usually awful. We're usually subjected to the same recycled dreg like Survivor, The War at Home, According to Jim, CSI, ER, OC, and any other number of repeat material that may or may not be in the form of a new acronym. This time, I welcome comments on the 5 best and 5 worst shows in recent memory. First, the best:
5. The West Wing--Lost steam after Sorkin left. Fell flat after Spencer died.
4. House, M.D. Much more entertaining than ER, and somehow very different than Scrubs. It hasn't been around long enough to be a 'greatest of the last 5-10 years,' but it is an up and comer to keep an eye on. If you think it's too recent for this list, switch it out for Chappelle's Show (a first-ballot hall-of-famer).
3. Futurama This show deserved better. Thankfully, Futurama the Movie is due out in 2007. Maybe that will spark the hate-mail campaign aimed at Fox when Family Guy went off the air.
2. Family Guy As stated in the aforementioned paragraph, it's back on the air after a brief hiatus. The movie was pretty funny too.
1. The Simpsons All hail the king. In their 18th season, no cartoon show, and maybe no other television program (that I can remember) has lasted this long. The movie is also due in 2007, which, to me, signals they are about to jump the shark. It was a great run.
Honorable Mentions: Judging Amy, Bones, My Name is Earl, 24
Omitted: HBO-esque Syndications like the Sopranos.
"Tweeners": These can be shows that aren't great, but it was a nice new idea (Deal or No Deal). Also, these are shows that started well, then made a very wrong turn (Malcolm in the Middle, Who Wants to be a Millionaire).
Again, this isn't intended to be an 'all-time' list. Just programs from the last five years or so (the Simpsons are still airing new episodes, so they're allowed). Again, clue me in to what I've missed in any of the categories.
2 hours ago