Thursday, May 11, 2006

Bands, Jam Bands, and Worst of All, Cover Bands.

Alright, I've been good long enough. I promised this blog would cover music, but since I'm a snob by most standards, I've held back...until today. First, this public service announcement:

Pearl Jam does not need any more of your money. Go support a local act.

This is not to imply PJ is any good, just that they are filthy-stinking-rich. Besides that, at local venues you can actually get near the stage, dance, and even hang out with the band afterwards. Yes, you do run the risk of exposing yourself to bands who have no idea how to play their instruments, but damnit, it's worth the hours of agony for the diamond in the rough. The internet (particularly myspace) even allows you to preview most sounds, therefore cutting out a good deal of suck. For God's sake, at least avoid the cover bands.

Without further adieu, this week's topic:

Who are your favorite bands or performers?


More importantly, I'm imposing a rule. No negative comments about any of the bands mentioned. That goes for your generous host as well. I won't light into anyone for their musical tastes (even if they deserve it...David, you know what I'm talking about with your NKOTB album).

Here's my list, in no particular order:

I highly recommend checking out the linked bands, and buying their stuff. If you're ever in South Central PA, you should check them out.

2 comments:

Persico said...

I think the only band I disagree with is A Perfect Circle.

Everything is mostly the same. Slight variations, but once you've heard one song you've heard them all.

But you don't have completely terrible taste in music.

Jen said...

I have never been a Foo Fighters fan, however seeing them in concert at the HFStival last year was definately an experience. Acutally, the whole day was, from bbqing in the parking lot and watching for cops, to watching some young kid vomiting on the sidewalk. Anyway, very good concert, the lineup this year doesn't look as promising...
I just saw They Might Be Gaints last night. They wrote a little song about the venue they played last night. Mr. Smalls. It's rather catchy.
I'm seeing Ani next month so I'll let you know how that goes.