Above is Jennifer Strange, her husband, and three children. Below is the price of ignorance, and my two cents on stupidity.
I've been hesitant to post on this tragedy, but damnit, I've got some issues with the whole event that no one else is covering.
If you've been living in a box, basically a woman entered a radio contest that awarded a Nintendo Wii to the contestant who could drink the most water without peeing or puking. I know, it sounds like a great idea already.
Before reading further, you should listen to the excerpts of the show here.
1) About 30 seconds in, one of the DJs muses, "Can't you get water poisoning and, like, die? Maybe we should have researched this more...."
To that I say, "No shit, lady."
2) One of the hosts claims if it gets dangerous their body will automatically throw it up.
Are you serious? This is the freakin' 21st century and we're still giving people jobs that could be dangerous to others? Last I checked, this man was a Disc Jockey, not a Doctor.
3) Someone calls into the show, tells them the contestants could die, and they basically ignore her, and tell her it's okay because the contestants all signed releases.
Your dumb ass is about to find out releases aren't worth the paper they are printed on. After you file bankruptcy, I hope you listen to clips of the show, realize how much you were responsible, and kill yourself.
It's also worth noting at this point that I also think the contestant is a dumbass. Surely they can hear the callers. As soon as they hear it might kill them, it's time to quit.
4) There had to be a doctor listening. Why aren't they calling? And why didn't the station have an ambulance at the set, just in case? Does this station even have a manager?
5) Jennifer Strange turns down Timberlake tickets to continue the contest. She says everyone will hate her forever for doing so, but she really wants the Wii.
Well, Jennifer, since "forever" turns out to be "just a couple more days," it's no big deal.
6) Jennifer's head begins to hurt. They tell her it's her body telling her to puke.
Three hours have gone by at this point. They've got the internet. You'd think one of them had the common sense to look up "water poisoning" and "symptoms." Ignorance is amazing sometimes. The good news is it's at this point she quits and takes the Timberlake tickets.
7) The DJ tells her she looks really sick.
Here's an idea, douchebag: call an ambulance and have a medical professional take a look.
Is the station/DJs at fault? Sure. I hope they get the pants sued off of them, and all the ignorant DJs are committed to mental institutions.
Is Jennifer just as stupid? Sorry to speak ill of the recently deceased, but yes.
Folks, use your heads. If you enter a contest, be sure to read up the possible outcomes of your participation. Talk it over with friends, doctors, and anyone else who will tell you that you're a moron before you kill yourself for a video game.
Embers & Dust
1 hour ago