Monday, January 16, 2012

Napoleon Dynamite

There are so many things I want to write about today. Since returning, I have yet to weigh in on the Republican nomination. Fear not, loyal reader(s), it's coming. Just not today. Replacing "the Cleveland Show" last night on Fox's Animation Domination was none other than Napoleon Dynamite.

Come again?

That's right. The movie (which I loved, by the way) which was relevant for about 5 minutes in 2004 to about 50 people has resurfaced as a cartoon on Fox.

"Napoleon Dynamite"

When: Sundays, 8:30 PM EST
Who: Jon Heder, Aaron Ruell, Efren Ramirez, Halie Duff, John Gries, Sandy Martin
Where: Fox
What:

Imagine Napoleon Dynamite the movie, and now replace it in your head with cartoon characters instead of actors.

The talent:

They've reunited the entire cast, as far as I can tell, from the movie to the cartoon. This is presumably because none of them had been working anyway.

Projected Longevity of the Show:

Well, it's on Fox, so chances are if it is successful, they will subsequently mishandle and cancel it. That said, I don't think this one is ready to catch fire any time soon. The bar has been set pretty low, as it's replacing Jonah Hill's hot mess called Allen Gregory, which I barely remember hearing about and never watching.

Projected Watchability:

Women: 3 out of 10
Men: 5 out of 10

As I said in the beginning, only a handful of people have heard of the movie, so I guess there will be a lot that is lost in translation as people get to know the characters. It's going to be sandwiched in a popular line up, so it has that going for it. I tried to watch the first two episodes and fell asleep during each.

It is also worth mentioning that I've found no evidence that the Cleveland Show has been cancelled. Apparently this was just a one-time thing.

Since you were so good to read the entire post, here's your reward in the form of today's DAILY FEEL GOOD. The best part comes at the end when the report reveals that this is the third such occurrence in recent months at a Detroit Chuck-E-Cheese.

2 comments:

The Snarky Stalker said...

You must not be hanging out with the right people because everyone I know has watched AND loved napoleon dynamite. One of the best, lazy and bored Sunday afternoon movies ever!

Ben said...

That may be true, but let me ask you this:

Did you watch the cartoon? Do you ever plan to? I loved the movie too, but it's relevance and staying power are both questionable.